Crystal Mazzuca

"Remember, O my soul, the fig tree was charged, not with bearing noxious fruit, but no fruit." - Thomas Fuller

It's one of those passages in Scripture that I often skim over without a second thought. Matthew 21 and Mark 11 both tell the story of Jesus walking with His disciples when He comes across a barren fig tree. He sees that there's nothing on it and curses it.

Ooookay.

At least, that's what I always thought. Hungry Jesus = mad Jesus.

But it has less to do with food and more to do with a lesson. Scripture often talks about "bad fruit." People whose deeds are wicked, evil, and ungodly. It's easy for us to read those passages and shake our heads, knowing the fate of such bad trees.

But what about the nothing trees? The ones that aren't producing bad fruit, but they aren't producing good fruit? In fact, they aren't producing anything at all?

Apparently, Jesus isn't too fond of those trees.

When is the last time you took stock of your crop? Your fruitfulness? The daily grind of life often throws us into a monotonous routine where we're just going through the motions. Bills get paid. Family gets fed. Life is good.

But is that really a fruitful life?

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit He takes away…By this, my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be My disciples." - John 15:1, 8

What does fruit look like? Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22). It looks like growing day by day as you walk with Jesus. It looks like actions. It looks like transformation. It looks like becoming a better you as you walk closer with Jesus. It looks like relationships. It looks like being intentional.

It looks like Jesus.

And, if you're not bearing fruit, you're on the verge of being smote. There's no such thing as a fruitless Christian.

Where do you see yourself bearing fruit? Where are you challenged to grow and glorify God more?

-Crystal
1 Response
  1. Beautiful and inspiring post.

    I think we must "bear fruit" or bloom where we are planted. I am extremely challanged to bear fruit at work. I see people who are sick and some who cannot help themselves. I've become bolder in sharing my walk of faith.

    Also, in my writing.