Crystal Mazzuca

Growing up, I want to be Rudy. She was cute. She was sweet. And, most importantly, she got away with anything and everything.

I idolized the Cosby Show as a kid. I'd wish for the TV to magically transport me into that family room that I knew as well as my own so I could join together into lip synching a James Brown song for my grandparents' anniversary or sew my big brother a shirt that would make him look like clown. Everything they did was fun and funny - and always got resolved in 30 minutes.

And then...I got married. And I had kids. And I realized quickly - life is not like the Cosby show.

How many times, instead of coming up with a super creative and hilarious way to teach my children a lesson, have I ended up yelling at them and sending them to their rooms?

How many times, instead of giggling an apology and snuggling under the covers, have I gone to bed angry at my husband?

I guess that's what happens when we simply live instead of being prompted by a group of professionally trained writers who are preparing us for "life" lived out in front of a live studio audience.

Fiction is appealing because it is so much prettier than life. Bumps are smoothed away. Problems always turn out good. Everything is easy.

Life may not be like that, but it doesn't mean I can't try. Okay, so maybe I won't be able to move out all of my seven-year-old's furniture and pretend our house is a hotel in order to teach him a lesson about appreciating us. But I can curb the yelling and the frustration.

Maybe my husband and I won't put on a jazz album and cuddle on the couch, all of our issues suddenly gone as we gaze into each others eyes. But I can humbly be the first to apologize and the first to let go of things.

My house will never be like the Huxtable's brownstone with the stone steps, floral couch (which later turned to blue), and canned laughter that made everything wonderful. But I can do everything within my power to make my home a sanctuary filled with laughter, joy, forgiveness, grace...and even the occasional fun moment.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men." - Colossians 3:23

That's the one thing we have over the Cosby Show. We aren't doing life for a paycheck or ratings. We're living it for an amazing God who loves us every day and longs to pour that love out onto our families.

Where in your life could you use a little more joy, forgiveness, and fun? Do you have ways that you make your home a sanctuary that your family wants to be in? What things do you need to do or not do so that God's love can pour more freely onto those you love?

-Crystal
3 Responses

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I loved the Cosby show, too, but never could relate because they had so much money. A lot of problems were solved because they could afford to fix things that the kids broke or replace them. I thought the show was fun, but unrealistic.

    I did like how they always turned to each other, though, and the family stayed together. That stands out in my mind.

    For 24 years of parenting I have tried to set a spiritual temperature in our home, and I feel like I've failed for 24 years. God's grace has to be sufficient. When my kids bring Him glory, it is in spite of me, not because of me. Thank you, Jesus!
    MommaMindy.WordPress.com


  2. Just have to say that it's so cool to find your post. My family and I are missionaries in Asia Pacific and we've just started watching an old season of the Cosbies. We have been living in the jungle and my 11 year old started really struggling that OUR family isn't as 'perfect' as the Cosbies. (We're pretty isolated from the world in here and I think he thought we're the exception if we're not like them!!). He's gonna read this and it'll mean a lot to him. Thanks!