Kristen
 
I'm in a Bible study that is going through the book of James. It is all very interesting and convicting. Anyway I came across this particular verse and realized that in just 24 careful words James has revealed the reason why the world does not care to listen to us. Our ineffectiveness in our dying world is not the terrible mystery that we have imagined.

James 1:26--"If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."

Oh.... Kinda painful isn't it. I'm finding that James is like that. The man does not mince words, ever. And it is true. I think back through the moments in my life when I lost my respect for someone. When I saw a Dad from our church grouching at his kids in the grocery store, when someone who wanted to show me a favorite Bible verse snarled at his wife when he couldn't find his Bible, when I stood on the receiving end of a red-faced screaming lecture from my boss. They did not have their tongues under tight rein.

No one is going to hear us, when we talk like that.

And now on to the worst part of this Bible verse. Dum dum dum duuuuuuum...I myself have grouched at my own precious children, I have snarled at my own marvelous husband, I have delivered lectures to those whom I love, and not all of them have been preformed in the calm collegiate style found at the university lectern.

Ugh!

What to do! What to do! There is only one option. I must fall on my face before my Lord and call upon His help in the trouble that I have created for myself and those around me. I must apologize to people, I must cling to the way of my King, and go on. For there are so many broken souls out there, waiting for someone they can trust. Someone who acts and speaks like Jesus.







Photo by sippakorn at www.freedigitalphotos.net

0 Responses