Crystal Mazzuca

You know self-control - it's like the lima bean of the Fruit of the Spirit. We love to talk about love, joy, and peace. We pray for more patience, kindness, goodness, and gentleness. But self-control? I think I'll leave that at the check out stand.

I like to think that I'm not a person in desperate need of self-control. I'm not obsessed with my body image, but I also don't splurge on food too much. I don't have a drinking, smoking, drug, or gambling problem. My worst addiction is to Dance Moms, but I can quit any time I want.

So why do I hate self-control? It's that it is so much more than just abstaining from things that are bad or harmful. It's about being disciplined to do good things.

And I hate disciple.

I'm reading the book Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney right now. Our last chapter was on self control. And you want to know the part that got me the worst?

Sleep.

I have three boys ages 8, almost 7, and 17 months. I don't struggle with sleeping too much. Sleeping in would only happen if I laced my kids' desserts with half a bottle of Nyquil and, even at that, I'm not sure it would keep them out past 7:30 am.

No, sleeping too much isn't where I need self-control. Sleeping too little is a bit more like it. To paraphrase Carolyn, "How lazy and selfish are young moms who stay up late to unwind and entertain themselves and then have no energy for their families in the morning?"

Ouch.

Like I said, I hate self-control.

I hate the idea of having to put down my own wants and desires to take up the things that Christ has called me to. I'd rather dink around on Pinterest than read my Bible. I'd rather get caught up on my DVR than play a board game with my kids. And I'd rather sit at home doing my own thing than making an effort to get together with people.

Darn you, lima beans!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord (not for Crystal and her lazy, selfish desires), not for men (including women...including myself.)" - Colossians 3:23

I should probably get off line now before I log onto Facebook. Again. I need to eat some lima beans.

Where do you struggle with self control? What kinds of habits might you need to quit doing? What kinds of habits might you need to pick up?

-Crystal
0 Responses